“The secret of change
is to focus all of your energy,
not on fighting the old,
but on building the new.”
Whether you are actively curating your Next Chapter in your career and life, or you are helping your business envision what your post-pandemic offerings will be, now is the time to mindfully pause.
As individuals, we may be looking forward to going back to the office.
At performing arts organizations around the country, we look forward to the return to live performances with audiences and getting back to what we all know how to do.
I can’t wait! … and yet I find myself resisting the pull to using empty words like “back” and “return.”
The pandemic has taught us so much – about ourselves, our organizations and our communities. Through my work as a Next Chapter Coach and now leading The Symphony, I’ve witnessed leaders finding a new connection to and clarity in their unique purpose (the impact they have on others when they themselves feel joy).
I’ve seen mission-driven organizations finally start to understand that their mission is not what they DO, but rather the impact they have on others when they do it (and this year the “it” has had to change and shift!).
I want to bring these lessons and silver linings forward.
I don’t want to simply go “back.”
I don’t want to simply “return.”
Instead, I am inviting myself and others to mindfully choose – to actively curate – what we want to bring forward. Part of that process is to be able to articulate WHY.
We must set an intention for the impact we want to have, and then know how each aspect we choose to bring into our lives or our business will create the possibility for achieving that impact.
“Times of transition and change
create unprecedented opportunities
to mindfully curate the lives, careers and businesses
we (really) want.
With impact, meaning and joy.”
As you think about the months ahead, here are 5 Steps to help you create more clarity on what you want to “return” to:
- REFLECT: Think of your life and career, or your business: What occurred during the pandemic that created new possibilities, and benefitted you or others?
- REVEAL: What specifically was the impact and to whom? And why did it feel so good? Why did it matter?
- IMAGINE: How can you achieve that impact in new ways going forward?
- CURATE: Now, in the context of what you’ve just written… what specifically are you going to mindfully add into your Next Chapter? NOT because it’s what you used to do, or what everyone expects, but because you are choosing it with intention to have impact and joy.
- COMMIT: Mindfully curating our lives and leadership in this way is a daily practice. In business, it can be met with resistance, and feelings of frustration. It’s much harder to find words for what we mean. It’s much easier and “normal” to use the empty words… but then we sound like everyone else, lack intention and purpose, and miss big opportunities.
As always, I love hearing from you and knowing how YOU are mindfully curating the life of your dreams, and what your impact and value are!
To your success,
Next Chapter Coach
Creator of The Career (Life!) Breakthrough AcademyTM
P.S. – This time of year can be challenging if you’re at a Crossroad Moment, trying to figure out what to do, what is possible, what you (really) want, and what you should do next. If this is YOU or someone you know, I’ve opened up times on my calender to get on the phone for a confidential call.