The actions of others do not determine our happiness. Choose the assumptions and meaning you place on what occurs, and everything can shift!Continue reading
What do YOU want to be known for… today? Know your impact when you’re feeling joy, cultivate it, and build a reputation for doing and being THAT.Continue reading
If you are feeling something less than joy in the present moment, here are REFLECTION QUESTIONS to helpContinue reading
Quotes to help reinforce the path you’re on, or to help you pause and wonder if there may be a different way.Continue reading
Time can fly, or stand still. YOU decide. Four quotes to help you think about this past year, and the changes you want to make.Continue reading
Now is the time to mindfully pause. 5 Steps to help you create more clarity on what you want to “return” to after the pandemic.Continue reading
Step into vulnerability and share your voice so that others may benefit, and you can feel joy, live in your purpose, move with ease, and create your own momentum.Continue reading
Shift the traditional methods for assessing success, mapping out career advancement, and creating work/life balanceContinue reading
“Joy; the kind of happiness that doesn’t depend on what happens.”
— David Steindl-Rast
Today, my invitation is to join me in experiencing and BE-ing joy. No matter what is happening around you. Yes, “even if…” and “even when…”.
Joy isn’t like happiness which is based upon the happenings around you. It’s not dependent on whether things are going “well” or not. In fact, joy can be present at some of our most difficult moments. It is an emotion that comes with the anticipation and/or awareness of something that is wonderful. I learned this when I experienced joy at the hospital bedside of our son when he was in the serious throws of what would be a successful battle with brain cancer. In my client work, I teach how to gain greater clarity on joy (and thus ourselves as leaders) by identifying “peak moments” where we felt alive, at the top of our game, with a full heart in gratitude – and then through a guided process help to reveal the Evidence of ImpactTM in those very moments.
In fact, one of the amazing secrets about joy is that ultimately, it is not about US. We may seek it, but in reality, joy comes at the very moment we are living in our purpose – showing up fully and having the impact on others we are meant to have.
Here are 6 more secrets (FACTS) about Joy; learned from my own journey and now championed by my clients:
- JOY is not a selfish act – it is an indication that you are living in your purpose and having the impact you are meant to have on this earth.
- Choosing JOY does not mean we move through life ignoring feelings of sadness, loss, inconsequence, separation, frustration, stress, injustice or are pretending something negative does not exist.
- JOY is both a litmus test and a compass for creating the (meaningful) success we really want.
- JOY is in the present moment.
- Moments of JOY, and thus impact, are… limitless.
- JOY is a choice, and a practice.
When thinking about your career and life, your next steps, your decisions, “Let joy be your compass and impact be your guide.” Ask yourself:
- What have been my moments of joy (specifically, the 3-second moment of “spark”?)
- Where in my body did I feel it – specifically?
- Why did it feel so good? When I felt Joy, what were the ripples of impact to others? How do I know?
- How often do I want to be feeling that?
- What would it mean to others if I could feel that way?
I am often asked, “How many true moments of joy are possible to experience or to expect in a career and life?” Understanding that when you feel joy, others also benefit… my answer is not a surprise, and for the past five years it has been true for me “At LEAST once a day!”
To your success and JOY! Kathryn
Next Chapter Coach
Creator of The Career (Life!) Breakthrough AcademyTM
TWO BLOGS YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY:
Stop Talking Yourself Out of the Life You Really Want! don’t be your own worst enemy –Continue reading