This is a time when many of us are thinking about what we want our 2019 to look like.
We have visions about what we want to do and achieve, what changes we resolve to make, and where and how we want to be spending our time.
It’s a wonderful time of opportunity!
Some of you may notice yourself saying things like:
“THIS time I’m really going to do it!” or “This year, I’m going to stick with it!” or “This is MY year!”
For those of you who make vision boards, they are likely filled with exciting images of wealth, travel, experiences, friendships and abundance.
It’s exciting to be thinking about what’s possible in a new year, isn’t it?!
As we close out 2018, I invite you to add an extra layer to your visioning – something that can make a big difference in achieving what you want in 2019 and beyond.
Here’s an exercise:
Complete these sentences for yourself:
- “In 2019, I want ___________, SO THAT…___________”
- “It’s important to me to make that happen BECAUSE… ___________”
- “It’s important to me to make that happen NOW because… ___________”
Then, I encourage you to imagine that you are looking back at 2019 and answer these questions:
- “When I achieve what I want, what will that make possible?”
- “How will I feel?”
Spend some time really thinking about the IMPACT of getting what you want.
As a bonus, challenge yourself to go even further, and set an intention to take charge and create the causes and conditions needed for you to ensure you have that impact.
The final sentence of this exercise would read something like this:
- “Therefore, I am going to (only) choose the following thoughts, feelings, language, and actions that will create the possibility for my impact to be achieved:”
The answers revealed through this “Impact Visioning” provide deeper insights into your value and your purpose, and will also help motivate you (and enroll and engage others in your vision!).
When we know that what we want will also benefit others – and that people around us are counting on us to have the impact we are meant to achieve, it raises the stakes, and increases our chances of making it happen.
I’ve had the honor to work with so many wonderful organizations and individual leaders as they build upon their success and seek to have the impact they are meant to achieve.
Here’s just a few examples of their impact that I’m celebrating as I create my own vision for 2019:
- Inspiring keynote attendees in the Netherlands to find, measure and cultivate creativity and empathy as a way to make the world a better place.
- Giving a voice to the voiceless, power to the powerless, inclusion to the outsider, and to shine a light on the unseen. A champion for underdogs; helping them find opportunities to participate and succeed.
- Saving lives by creating new marketing campaigns that educate the public on the importance of vaccines.
- Providing STEM education programs to schools around the country in order to expand science and technology opportunities for underrepresented youth, through a deep passion for youth development and social justice.
- Creating and curating engagement tools that connect with a community’s true identity first, so creativity and transformation thrives, and projects result in civic good – sensing the heart, soul, and signature of a community with instinct, professional insights, and (infectious) passion.
- Disrupting the performing arts industry by showing organizations how to address declining audiences by listening to the audience, acting on that feedback and focusing on retention.
- Connecting people with resources, creating opportunities, and managing programs with lasting impacts.
- Raising curious, confident, compassionate children by being fully present in their lives.
- Empowering low-income women artisans by facilitating cultural grounding, offering both teaching and learning experiences, and revealing artistic skills and creativity.
- Bringing joy to audiences through artistic excellence and programming that invites the public to be moved.
- Making big shifts and ripples of impact possible as mindful leaders, by choosing to step into vulnerability, ask for help, buck trends, and test normal assumptions and best practices.
What does your 2019 vision look like and what will occur when you achieve it? How can I support you in making it come to life?
I invite you to share YOUR big goals with me. Often, the very act of sharing your goals with someone who will hold the vision for you can be extremely empowering.
If you’re feeling inspired, and want to make this YOUR year, I invite you to schedule a complimentary Clarity Call to discuss your scenario and what it would look like for me to guide you or your organization in 2019 to set and achieve YOUR intentions for this year and beyond.
To your success,
P.S. – Congratulations on the impact YOU have had in 2018. Momentum is building… all you have to do is notice it and leverage it!
No comment yet, add your voice below!