“Knowing yourself is the beginning to all wisdom.”
What do you want to be known for?
It’s a big, wonderful question. Knowing your answer is key to… everything.
Take your time. I’ll wait. 😉
The question prompts us to think about how we measure our success, our value, and ideally creates a path to knowing our true purpose. By adopting a practice of asking ourselves this question and observing and celebrating the moments where we acheive “it,” we begin to be able to see that what we (really) want is not only possible, but something to take responsibility for, so that we can have the impact we seek – every.single.day.
Now, if it feels like knowing the answer may be something nice to think about, but you have more important and pressing questions to answer today…
I invite you to take my “Impact-Infringer Checklist for Amazing Leaders”:
What’s your score?
PART 1 [1 point for EACH]
- I get acknowledged for things that – while nice – aren’t the things I am most proud of.
- I have trouble deciding where to put my energy, or how to prioritize my time.
- I don’t take credit for things I accomplish – it’s a team effort.
- When I acknowledge others for their work, I don’t include the role I played.
- I didn’t get the (promotion/job/project/client) I wanted.
- My LinkedIn headline only lists my job title.
- When I re-read my interview quote/bio/cover letter I confess I’m valuing my skills above all else and trying to prove that I’m able to do the job.
- When people ask me what I do, I tell them my job title (or list a long list of the things I do).
PART 2 [add 5 points if you check ANY of the following]
- I am frustrated at work.
- I want more work/life balance.
- I want more joy and meaning.
- I feel stuck.
- I know I want to make a change, but don’t know to take the first step (or if it’s even possible).
- 0-4 Points and NO Points from Part 2 = Awesome!
- 5-9 Points = It may be time to make a few shifts – your underlying beliefs about your impact, unique value, and leadership may be getting in your own way. Check out some of my recent BLOGS HERE for tools to explore.
- 10-13 Points = Uh-Oh. 😉 You are likely not having the impact you are meant to have with joy, ease and financial sustainability. I invite you to schedule a confidential complimentary Strategy Call!
As a purposeful leader, you want to make a difference. And, you ARE. [here’s a BLOG to prove it]. The problem many successful leaders encounter, however, is that no one has taught us how to really know our own purpose (the impact we have on others when we are feeling joy), how to identify the internal and external causes and conditions needed, and how to leverage it, create momentum around it, communicate it, monetize it, and curate our lives around it. Sometimes, we may question whether living in the intersection of joy and impact is even possible on a daily basis.
In thinking about what you want to be known for, you may have done the “write your own obituary” exercise. That can be a good start. To help your thoughts become a little more concrete, try making a list of what you want to be known for… today, and tomorrow. And, why?
Our impact occurs daily. Every day, and in every moment, we create our own ability to have the impact we are meant to have. No matter what. Once we KNOW why we are here, i.e. what we want to be known for regardless of our role, then we have the starting point for everything we do next.
I refer to this self-knowledge as the foundational, and often missing information. You can be successful without it… and then, may reach a point when you get stuck and need a guide to help you unlock and reveal what you really are seeking.
As always, I love hearing from you – what do YOU want to be known for… today?!
To your success,
Next Chapter Coach
Creator of The Career (Life!) Breakthrough AcademyTM
P.S. – If you would like to join over 200 fellow leaders curating lives of impact & joy, check out The Career (Life!) Breakthrough Academy – a new cohort begins August 1st. This time of year can be challenging if you’re at a Crossroad Moment, trying to figure out what to do, what is possible, what you (really) want, and what you should do next. If this is YOU or someone you know, I’ve opened up times on my calender to get on the phone for a confidential call.
No comment yet, add your voice below!