We are hours away from a new year! While every day offers us the possibility to start afresh and create our next chapters, New Year’s Eve is different. It is a time when many cultures have a tradition of reflection and envisioning the coming months ahead – and setting goals for what they want to acheive.
Earlier this week I was on-air at our local radio station, and when the host asked a caller: “Have you made any New Year’s Resolutions?” the caller literally groaned. “ugh, I know I should…”
Unfortunately, the caller is not alone in this feeling!
While we are always learning and growing, resolving to “be better” often creates an underlying premise that you’re not good enough now. That is simply not true!
Resolutions often focus on tasks and behaviors, without the deeper contextual understanding of the “why” – the true impact, the “payoff.” You’re smart: when you don’t know how the resolution will create the sustainable (and critical) impact you are meant to have on others, then resolutions become yet another “To-Do” on our long, long lists. Because they are not intentionally linked to the specific causes and conditions needed for you to live in your purpose, they can be abandoned. Their impact – or lack of impact – is (incorrectly) only linked to you, not others.
If you’re thinking about your New Year resolutions, and find yourself groaning like the caller, I invite you to do something else. Something that will work and create momentum!
It’s a good general reminder:
- If a strategy doesn’t work for you, then… don’t do it! If resolutions don’t work for you, then not wanting to set resolutions is smart and very strategic. Trust this. Test this.
- If a strategy makes you feel terrible and like you’re a failure … then don’t do it! I invite you to only do things that bring you joy. Trust and value what happens when you feel joy.
What to do instead? I teach several strategies with my coaching clients. Here are some BLOGS relating to Resolutions – let me know which strategy you choose!
- Don’t Set Resolutions – There’s a Better Way
- Making Your Resolutions Stick
- Take Your Leap – I’ll be with you every step of the way
- Four Questions to Reframe Goals, Create Clarity, and Start Your Next Chapter Now
- The Next Chapter You Envision is… HERE
Happy New Year to you! Cheers to curating a 2023 of the sustainable impact you are meant to have – with joy, ease, momentum, clarity, and financial resources that align with your impact!
Next Chapter Coach
Creator of The Career (Life!) Breakthrough AcademyTM
No comment yet, add your voice below!